Linden Font

Friday 8 February 2013

Friday cocktails: Ruby grapefruit, raspberry and orange blossom vodka cocktail

Grapefruit cocktail

I'm limiting my alcohol intake at present. Not a totally Sober Feb: a healthy one or two drinks a week can't hurt anyone. And when this little concoction occurred to me, I knew it would be perfect for the evening when one is all you can take. A treat for a quiet night in, or for others, just the start of a big one.


Fresh juice is not as difficult as your lazy brain makes it out to be. The juicer attachment for my food processor made light work of these puppies and involves less cleaning than hand juicers. Not nearly as romantic, but let's face it, if you're turning to a juicer for romance you've got bigger problems in this world.

Grapefruit cocktail

Orange blossom water is a strange elixir. It's floral but also kinda savoury. Today's handy hint: less is way, way more. You only need wave this in the general direction of a cocktail and the heady scent takes over. Go overboard and you may as well drink the water from last week's vase of flowers. With vodka, of course, so it's not all lost.

I feel like I know you all so well. I can be honest can't I? Please don't judge. The raspberries add absolutely zip to this drink flavour-wise. Nuttin'. Nada. Donuts. They just look pretty and right now, I feel like pretty is what I need. I need pink and flowers and kittens and fluffy bunnies. Bare with me. It'll pass and in no time I'll be back to red meat and potatoes.

Maybe we should make this a virgin...

Ingredients

2 ruby grapefruit
12 raspberries
2 tsp orange blossom water
100ml vodka (or as much as you'd prefer)
2 cups soda water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
ice cubes

Grapefruit cocktail

To make the sugar syrup, stir the sugar and water over low heat until dissolved. Boil for one minute. Pour into a jug and cool in the refrigerator.

Juice the grapefruit. Pour into two glasses with the remaining ingredients and the sugar syrup.

Serve with salt and vinegar chips or something equally classy.

Grapefruit cocktail

No comments:

Post a Comment