Linden Font

Thursday 27 December 2012

The leftovers conundrum


There's only so much ham a household of two people can eat. More to the point, there's only so many recipes I can cram ham into before my brain goes into a porcine meltdown. I'm in a turkey haze, a roasted pork 'episode'. I'm not looking forward to a repeat of the Great Ham Debacle of 2009.


Don't get me wrong. I love leftovers. I'm partial to a good ham and mustard sandwich. Turkey and salad is a real treat. It's the endless, never-ending mound of food, the feeling that we won't see the end of festive food for months. Held hostage by ham. Trapped by turkey.


We enjoyed a meal of roasted duck a couple of days before Christmas. There were three of us but we barely made it through half the bird. The next day I pulled together a riff on peking duck. Salad, tortillas and hoisin sauce, together with panfried slices of duck made for a delicious meal.

Matt's asked me to skip the roasted duck next time and go straight for the ducky wraps. That's when you know you've hit the jackpot: Skip the main event and head straight for the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment