Linden Font

Tuesday 12 March 2013

The long weekend and a dried fruit smoothie

Dried fruit smoothie

My breakfast of choice is All Bran with skim milk and a banana. Enough energy to jump on my beautiful bike and ride the ten kilometers to work, and healthy enough not to worry about my arteries clogging before lunchtime. But there are some days where Boring Bran just won't cut the mustard, much less a banana.

We just arrived back from a long weekend at Golden Plains festival. It was an absolute corker. George Clinton, The Mark of Cain, Cat Power and a bunch of other talented peeps kept us entertained on the lush grasses of a sweet Meredith farm for hours on end. The rest of the time we played the card game Whist and I proved myself to be quite the erratic card player. I'd putter along with scores in the low teens and then pull a 77 from out of nowhere. Consistency is most certainly not my middle name.


Dried fruit smoothie

Camping for two nights does take it out of you. I've cleaned the mud from my feet, washed the gunk from my hair and slept most the afternoon. There are creaks in my hips that can only be attributed to a half deflated air mattress but it's nothing 30 minutes on the bike won't fix. But I am craving real nutrition. One more Lions club hamburger with a side of chips and I might keel over. It's smoothie time.

This is almost like a Christmas cake in a milk drink. Raisins and honey, vanilla and nutmeg. It's all thickened up with oats and banana. This drink drives me crazy and in a healthy, slow burn kinda way. I popped in some nuts as well (hazelnuts and almonds) but toasted them first to really emphasise their flavour.



It's drinks like this that will put my back on the righteous path to wedding dress heaven. If only you could take a blender camping, I'd never have wandered.

Dried fruit smoothie

Ingredients

1 cup skim milk
1/2 banana
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp vanilla paste

Over low heat, toast the nuts until the almonds are golden. Don't avert your eyes - they'll burn in an instant.

Put all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment